Eating is a way of taking in culture at a truly basic level – and it’s a one of the great joys of traveling. So look beyond the McDonalds, Burger Kings, and KFCs to experience the local cuisine.
Obviously, if you’re on a shoestring, you probably won’t be hitting top-tier fancy restaurants. Personally, if I have to spend a week’s wages for a single meal, I’m probably not going to
enjoy it that much anyway… no matter which lauded chef-of-the-moment had a hand in its preparation. But that doesn’t mean I don’t eat memorably when I travel.
Remember, most Europeans are ‘regular folks’ just like most of us. These people have to eat too. And they eat very well! In addition to restaurants, there are also food stalls, sandwich shops, and it's always lovely to have a picnic!
I’m one of those horrible people who actually take pictures of my food before diving in. Well, a lot of the time – I don’t take pictures of every single meal!
Once I’m back home I print up my favorites and put them on the dining room wall. They’re bright, cheerful, and remind me of great memories. It’s also a pretty cheap way to decorate. =]
Again – this isn’t meant to show off and tell you what great times I’ve had. It's an encouragement for you to go out and have your own adventures!
No comments:
Post a Comment