This blog will focus on my own budget European travels – and will also present tips, strategies, and secrets for your own travels in Europe and elsewhere.
I came to international travel late. I’d done quite a bit around the States (including a 10,000 mile road trip with my sons when they were seven and nine years old!) but I was 50 before I went overseas. That was in 2003 so – for those of you who are nosy – I’m 57 now.
I’ve been told I don’t look it. I’ve also been told I don’t act it, which may be why people think I don’t look it. Or it might simply have something to do with the mental picture that younger people have of people over 50. The fact that I can walk around, talk without stumbling (most of the time), and still get a charge out of life makes them think I’m younger – even though there are lots of people my age and older who are FAR more active!
In any case, I’m 57 for better or worse. I’ve never lied about my age and I’m not about to start now.
Why have people think you look just ok (or a little … worn out) for a younger age when they can think you look great for the age you really are? And if you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember how many years to subtract (and I’m crap at math). Much simpler!
But what you’re here for is travel stories and I’ve got a bunch!
One more thing, I want to stress that I am a very ordinary type of person. I’m not an extreme adventurer. I’ve not hiked in the jungle or gone bungee jumping or swam with sharks. I'm not a total wimp - I've got no problem with hiking in a downpour or sleeping in a tent but overall I prefer more … err … gentle experiences.
I’m very interested in seeing the world and I’m even more interested in the fascinating people I meet when I travel. I’m friendly – but when you travel alone, that’s a good thing.
I’ve been blessed with an almost Pollyanna-like optimism and an ability to see how amusing life can be.
But what I’ve done isn’t unreachable. Nearly anyone who wants to can do it too - or their version of it. That’s the great thing about travel – even if two people take the exact same trip, their experiences will be unique.
So don’t look on this as my saying, “Look at the cool things I’ve done!” Look at it like, “Here are some of my cool experiences – now go out and have some of your own!”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment