This one from
I found this one in Rome. I love the idea of selling "Frozen water " ... You mean, like, ICE?
Some signs are pretty much to the point. Take this one, from England, for instance!
Here's one that requires a little reading. It's from Inishmore, one of the Aran Islands (of sweater fame). Signs in western Ireland are bilingual and this one is no exception. However, note that the fine amount is different in English. So, if you dump trash and you're speaking English while doing it, you'll be stuck with a €4.61 surcharge. Not quite sure how they enforce that one!
Most times it's pretty easy to figure out what is meant by a sign, even if the wording seems a bit odd to speakers of American-English. But this one had me stumped for several years. Mentally, I was picturing punks going around and pinging flies over onto their sides - a mini version of cow tipping so beloved by good ol' boys in America's heartland. But finally, British friend set me straight.
"Fly tipping" is knocking over trash cans!
What signs have you found that hit you funny??



No comments:
Post a Comment